AP Capstone is built on the foundation of a new, two-year High School course sequence — AP Seminar and AP Research — and is designed to complement and enhance the in-depth, discipline-specific study provided through AP courses. It cultivates curious, independent, and collaborative scholars and prepares them to make logical, evidence-based decisions.
Benefits of AP Capstone
- Fosters the research, argumentation, and communication skills that are at the core of college readiness and essential for lifelong learning
- Provides a setting to build on the knowledge and rigorous course work of AP in an interdisciplinary format
- Offers students a unique opportunity to distinguish themselves to colleges and universities
- Builds professional excellence through participation in an intensive, week-long collaborative professional development institute
- Offers a flexible curricular content model with room for creativity and student input
- Affords schools and districts the distinction of offering a rigorous, widely recognised diploma program
- Helps identify students who are prepared to enter college with the research, writing, and collaboration skills necessary for successful college completion
- Provides consistent, externally-validated measures of student ability
- Demonstrates student research and writing abilities through a 5,000-word scholarly research paper
Combining Scholarly Practice with Academic Intensity
AP Capstone was developed in response to feedback from higher education. The two AP Capstone courses, with their associated performance tasks, assessments, and application of research methodology, complement the rigour of AP courses and exams by equipping students with the power to analyse and evaluate information with accuracy and precision in order to craft and communicate evidence-based arguments.
Currently only available at ACS Cobham.
Available at ACS Hillingdon from August 2019.