We must do more
Racism and racial discrimination in any form are unacceptable.
ACS International Schools stand in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement. We are proud of our culturally-diverse community of students, families, staff and alumni representing over 70 nationalities, and recognise that we have an important role to play in being a positive catalyst for change.
As an organisation of four schools, we have taken the time to reflect. We continue to learn and acknowledge that we can do better and will work harder as a community. We may make mistakes but remain absolutely committed to learning from them, educating ourselves and improving how we address inequality and injustice.
We are listening and are grateful to members of our community who have expressed their views with courage and candour. This has helped us form action plans around a number of themes. Our schools will be engaging with students, parents and staff to hear their voices and join us in developing this action plan. We are committing to:
- Reviewing how any reported incidents of racism and discrimination are managed and acted upon in line with our behaviour policy
- Continuing to review our curriculum and teaching practices to ensure that all cultures are represented
- Reviewing the guidelines for the formation of student bodies and clubs, to ensure that any forum for students from minority groups can be established, and is inclusive of all students who have an interest
- Working with alumni of diverse backgrounds to act as role models to our current students
- Reviewing our online guidance, training and policy, including removal of comments
- Focussing on increasing diversity and training in our staff so that we have the widest possible representation in our staff community.
Inequality and injustice are unacceptable. We will work with our community to build a better future, where everyone is safe, equally valued and able to fulfil their potential.
Tim Cagney, Bob Macnaughton,