Our Vision & Approach
In defining our Vision we have distilled the many ideas, feelings and voices that make up our international community.
'Through learning' captures our endeavour to encourage lifelong learning in everything we do, and remain curious and motivated by the world we live in. To 'inspire all to make a difference' expresses our collective desire to see and enable achievement as a personal goal. It embodies the energy we feel to enrich and contribute positively to the people around us, both near and far.
At ACS Egham we define learning as growth and development, in knowledge and understanding, skills and dispositions.
We Engage in Community
• Motivate and value others • When every voice is heard, nobody feels left out • Strong partnerships between students, parents and staff create a genuine feeling of family • Pride in what we do energises the special environment we share • Place value on quality • Engage students in their own education • Together we are dynamic, viable, and secure • Value opinions • Respect for others builds self-respect • Invest in people and they will invest in you • Foster a sense of belonging to enrich a warm and friendly environment • Provide foundation and continuity to the many communities that make up our community • Take all from where they are to where they want to be • Remember, change is exciting as a shared experience • Our global community is an education in itself.
We Drive Positive Change
• Action your wider responsibilities to the world • Always endeavour to do the right thing • Be an ambassador for our extended international community • Promote global citizenship through deeds as well as words • Collaborate to achieve a wider understanding • Get involved in humanitarian issues outside your comfort zone • Promote sustainability as an integral part of everyday life • Never tire of giving to those less fortunate • Strive to provide stability in an uncertain world • Try your best to make others happy • Accept opportunities to contribute in new and uplifting ways • Develop love for the people around you • See a world without barriers • Embrace social responsibility.
We Promote Excellence Through Learning
• Share success • Ensure students leave with more than good grades • Encourage broad talents, as a good education is not all about one thing • Set individual goals, as achievement means different things to different people • The journey is important • Achieve because the focus is on students, lifelong learning and not just results • Inspire all to be the best they can be • Discover and liberate the motivation to succeed that lies in everyone • Embody an ethos that enables excellence, rather than one that delivers excellence at any cost • Encourage integrity as a form of personal excellence • Provide the opportunity for all to succeed through their own desire • Prepare flexible minds • Seed excellence into everything • Succeed with integrity.
We Enrich The International Experience
• Value and appreciate your role as a contributing member of one Earth • See and affect the world on your doorstep and beyond • Appreciate that international is the norm here • Draw unity from the fact that everyone is from somewhere else • Develop hearts and minds that respect cultural differences • Bring a sense of commonality to diversity • Use diversity to enhance learning • Champion the understanding of all cultures • Remain open-minded and curious • Enjoy the benefits of being part of a cosmopolitan group • Treat all differences thoughtfully • Diversity is stimulating and motivating when understood • Make all feel accepted.
A dynamic learning community. Our character is built on integrity, open-mindedness, and empathy. We welcome people of all cultures from around the world to create a powerful, shared experience that shapes the way we teach and learn, and actively defines our international character. We strive to build strong partnerships with parents. Above all, we appreciate that happiness enriches learning.
A great education needs to be balanced. That is why we celebrate academic achievement alongside social, physical and emotional well-being. With us, learning happens everywhere – through opportunities and activities beyond the classroom that drive thinking and enhance our core academics. By shaping our teaching around each student, we value and inspire individuality. Our teachers know what is important: understanding how students think and feel, encouraging their talents, and inspiring them to personal success. We empower all to challenge what is possible, stay curious, visualise their own future, and master the skills and attitudes to make a difference.
Gain balance, confidence, versatility, and resilience in the face of challenge, disappointment, and success. They appreciate that every experience is an opportunity to learn, innovate and grow. At ACS, students discover how best to learn, to work independently and collaboratively, to manage information, to communicate, and ultimately generate their own opportunities. Our students come to recognise what success looks like to them – motivated to identify, develop and enjoy their own talents, and use their abilities to benefit themselves and those around them. We enrich student awareness and empower them to empathise and engage with wider issues. Together they turn compassion into action, contributing towards a sustainable future.
Expected School-wide Learning Results (ESLRs)
By working to achieve the ESLRs, we build the knowledge, understanding, skills and dispositions that prepare our students to make a difference. This means that every ACS International Schools student is becoming:
An Effective Learner
• Directing their own learning with focus and curiosity • Using a range of languages and media • Working with others for a common purpose • Using creativity and imagination to address big questions • Pursuing individual interests with enthusiasm and determination.
A Confident Individual
• Navigating challenges with confidence and courage • Addressing personal physical, emotional and social well-being • Acting ethically and demonstrating personal integrity • Focusing on the positive in thought and action • Learning and growing through experiences and relationships.
A Caring Contributor
• Considering the world, their ideas and experiences • Building respectful relationships with people different from oneself • Making positive contributions to individuals and communities • Modelling ethical global citizenship • Sustaining the ecological systems and resources that support life.
IT in Education
ACS has a long history of harnessing the best new technologies to support the way we evolve our teaching skills, and the learning abilities of our students.
We understand the nature of learning has changed, and embrace the reality that mobile technology is at the core of a new educational experience. With a 1:1 iPad programme in Grades 3 to 12 – and two expert IT Integrationists on hand to support faculty in the delivery of engaging and compelling classes – we pursue excellence in areas that are relevant to today’s education, and life in the wider world beyond.
Egham is also the only ACS campus to offer Design Technology to students in Grades 6 to 12. We have a well-equipped lab, with a range of CAD/CAM equipment, including an industry standard 3-D printer, and a laser cutter/engraver to support the curriculum. Students love their Design lessons, because it is hands-on, and they get an experience that is both ‘real’ and fulfilling.
Crucially, we believe the greatest benefit of our IT strategy is that it celebrates the learning skills we continue to prize most dearly – listening, reading, writing, and numeracy – while also inspiring students to new thinking.
ACS Egham is the only school in the UK to offer all four IB programmes, as well as the US High School Diploma.
Life outside of the classroom is just as important for your child’s development as a well-rounded global citizen.